What is different about this search engine?
searchmysite.net is an independent open source search engine and search as a service which:
- Indexes only user-submitted sites with a moderation layer on top, for a community-based approach to content curation, rather than indexing the entire internet with all of its spam, "search engine optimisation" and "click-bait" content.
- Builds its own search index for full and transparent control over results ranking, rather than buying in results from other search engines like pretty much every other new search engine.
- Does not show adverts and promotes advert-free results pages, to remove the incentives for spam and surveillance capitalism.
- Aims to have a sustainable and user-aligned operating model, planning to pay running costs via a small listing fee (which gives access to additional benefits such as the "search as a service" features, e.g. being able to trigger a reindex on demand), rather than relying on advertising which could put it in conflict with user needs.
- Is fully open source, for even greater transparency of the searching, ranking and indexing processes, and for greater community involvement in improving the service.
- Is easy to self-host, allowing people to set up their own instances to search other parts of the internet, opening up exciting new possibilities for search.
- This instance only searches personal and independent websites, helping you find interesting and original content which can be hard to find elsewhere nowadays.
Who has developed this site?
This site has been developed by Michael I Lewis as an evenings and weekends side-project.
Where can I find out more?
Check out the Blog for posts on various aspects of its development, see the Documentation for frequently asked questions, information on the query syntax, indexed fields, indexing process and API, and search for searchmysite.net to see what others are saying about it.