What is different about this search engine?
searchmysite.net is an independent search engine and search as a service which:
- Only searches personal and independent websites, helping you find interesting and original content (sometimes referred to as the "IndieWeb", the "small web", the "non-commercial web" or "digital gardens") which can be hard to find elsewhere nowadays.
- Indexes only user-submitted sites, for a community-based approach to content curation, rather than indexing the entire internet with all of its spam, "search engine optimisation" and "click-bait" content.
- Builds its own search index rather than buys in results from other search engines, for full and transparent control over results ranking.
- Does not show adverts and promotes advert-free results pages, to disincentivise surveillance capitalism.
- Has an operating model designed to ensure it remains user focussed, with a plan to pay running costs via a small listing fee (which gives access to additional benefits such as the "search as a service" features, e.g. being able to trigger a reindex on demand), rather than paying running costs via advertising or a subscription fee.
- Will shortly be made open source, for even greater transparently of the searching, ranking and indexing processes, and for greater community involvement in improving the service.
Who has developed this site?
This site has been developed by Michael I Lewis.
Where can I find out more about how it works?
Search for searchmysite.net to see posts on michael-lewis.com about the technology stack, ranking algorithm, etc., and Documentation for frequently asked questions, information on the query syntax, indexed fields, indexing process and API.